Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Best Part...

So if I were asked (not that anyone has, mind you), which part of the sculpting process I like best, I would have to say that it would be this stage of the sculpt.
At this point, it is all anticipation, all promise and all hope. The concept (either on paper, in a photo or in one's head) is perfect. It is probably the only time that I can feel that it is perfect. It is what I want to achieve.

Front! Couldn't tell, could'ya?
... and back...
 I'll save myself the sheer embarrassment of posting up the picture of the concept. That isn't the point I am making anyway.

The point that I am making is that the beginning of all things always look brightest and best. They feel fresh and we are filled with the vigor of hope. You will see how this feeling kinda gets replaced by other emotions. We'll get to that soon enough.

Back to my point: I think hope is one of the most important emotions in life. On an individual level, it gives one a purpose, a reason to go on, to look forward to something. I remember asking a friend why he was buying the lottery and he turned to me and said,"Well, I am buying hope." Silly as it sounded, it kind of resonated with me. Not in the way that made me want to buy the lottery but in the way got me thinking about life, the universe and all that.

On a societal level, it brings out a willingness to cooperate, to keep things going, to preserve things so that we and our children can have a future that is better if not as good as the present. 

And so, hope...

Moving on, I can't for the life of me remember who said it but someone said that it is not how we start that matters but how we finish. And from the life experiences I had, perhaps I could add that the true measure of a man is also seen in what he decides to do when he's wading knee-deep in s***. That's soot to you young uns out there.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll be pushing putty again soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment